Lead

May 30 05 12:13 AM

Tags : :

Important!: Before you read on please take note of the following things.
  • All info in this guide works 100% for me. I do not guarantee that it will work for you, but it should.
  • Anything related to the triggers is a work-around. Windows supports analog buttons, but as far as I know there are no PC games that do, so they won't be able to use their full range unless you set them to an Axis. This is just a work-around and it won't fuction 100% like the real thing, but it's really close.
  • I'm right handed, so my configurations might be a bit biased towards right handed people, in which case just try reversing things.
  • I'm using an official Microsoft Controler-S
  • The games are not listed in alphabetical order, they are listed in the order I tested them in. If you're looking for a specific game just use your Browsers search/find function.
I will be updating this list from time to time, so check back for new entries every now and then.

If you have the full version of a game on this list that is listed as only being tested with the demo, please use the controls on this page and tell me your results so I can change the status to "Tested on full version and demo", when telling me about full version compatibility please also include the games version number.

Now that I've dealt with that, on with the list!

Latest Update Was On: 06/19/2005

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SCAR: Squadra Corse Alfa Romeo

Tested With: XBCD v1.07
Game Version: Tested with full version and demo
Compatible: Yes
Rumble: Yes

Notes:

If you want to use the triggers for Acceleration/Braking In this game there are two ways.

Left Trigger = "Z+" & Right Trigger = "Z-"

Or

Left Trigger = "Rz+" & Right Trigger = "Rz-"

Once you've decided what Axis to use it would probably be best if you disabled the other one just for the sake of being cautious. The game starts with a horrible default keyboard config, so you'll have to customize the controls on your own from the in-game controls menu. Set one trigger to accelerate and one to brake, and in-game they will work properly. This game does not recognize the slider function.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MotoGP 2

Tested with: XBCD v1.07
Game Version: Tested with full version and demo

Notes:

If you want to use the triggers for Acceleration/Braking I find that it works best when you set each trigger to a slider direction. MotoGP 2 combines the Acceleration and Brake command into one axis and only separates them by direction (Up/Down). I prefer it when the Left Trigger is "Sld+" and the Right Trigger is "Sld-", so that in-game the right trigger accelerates and the left trigger brakes. Remember, you'll have to set up your controls in the games controller config because it won't automatically set the triggers to Accelerate/Break because it defaults to the left analog stick Up/Down. Once your controls are setup both in the XBCD control panel and in the games config program, the triggers will work properly in-game.

Juiced!

Tested with: XBCD v1.07
Game Version: Only tested with demo.
Rumble: Partial (I can feel a little tiny bit of rumble, but I don't think it's working properly)

Notes:

If you want to use the triggers for Acceleration/Braking in this game set one trigger to the "Z-" Axis and one to the "Rz-" Axis, and don't forget to set up your controls through the games config program, it won't automatically set your triggers up and you might want to change other buttons around.

Cross Racing Championship 2005

Game Version: Only tested with demo (v1.2.2)
Rumble: Partial (I can feel a little tiny bit of rumble, but I don't think it's working properly)

Notes:

If you want to use the triggers for Acceleration/Braking in this game set one trigger to the "Z-" Axis and one to the "Rz-" Axis, and don't forget to set up your controls through the games config program because it won't set your triggers or any of the other buttons automatically.

Need For Speed Underground

Game Version: Only tested with demo

Notes:

If you want to use the triggers for Acceleration/Braking in this game you can do it three different ways, all of which have the same end result.

Left Trigger = "Sld+" & Right Trigger = "Sld-"

Or

Or

Once you've decided what Axis to use it would probably be best if you disabled the other two just for the sake of being cautious. Do not mix and match Axis types with this game, they have to be the same type or they won't work in-game and the car will start acting crazy. After you've set the axis type in the XBCD control panel go into the game and set Throttle AND Break/Reverse to whatever Axis you chose. For example, in-game you would put "Throttle = Right Trigger" and "Break/Reverse = Left Trigger", they will both be listed as the same thing ("Slider" In my case) but they will work based on the +/- value (In my case "Sld-" = Right Trigger = Throttle & "Sld+" = Left Trigger = Break/Reverse).

Need For Speed Underground 2

Notes:

If you want to use the triggers for Acceleration/Braking in this game you can do it three different ways, all of which have the same end result.

Or

Or

Once you've decided what Axis' to use it would probably be best if you disabled the other two just for the sake of being cautious. Do not mix and match Axis types with this game, they have to be the same type or they won't work in-game and the car will start acting crazy. After you've set the axis type in the XBCD control panel go into the game and set Throttle AND Break/Reverse to whatever Axis you chose. For example, in-game you would put "Throttle = Right Trigger" and "Break/Reverse = Left Trigger", they will both be listed as the same thing ("Slider" In my case) but they will work based on the +/- value (In my case "Sld-" = Right Trigger = Throttle & "Sld+" = Left Trigger = Break/Reverse).

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

Game Version: Only tested with full version (v1.02)
Rumble: No

Notes:

No special settings required. The game comes with a default generic gamepad profile that works fine, but you might want to change some buttons around to something that you feel more comfortable with. The triggers will not work with full range because the game does not detect them as Analog Buttons and will not let you set the triggers to an Axis, so the triggers will only work as digital buttons. Other than that everything works fine. I'm going to experiement with the games INI files to see if there might be a way to make the triggers work like they do on Xbox, will update this profile if I discover anything.

Psychonauts

Game Version: Only tested with demo (v1.02)

Notes:

Game detects the controller and all buttons work properly. Camera Left/Right and Up/Down were set to the wrong Axis, easy to fix by going into the in-game options menu.

Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst

Game Version: Open Beta (v1.20.5)

Notes:

Gamepad is detected and set up with a generic profile. The X and B buttons were reversed for me, easy to fix by just going into the in-game controller options.

Trackmania: Sunrise

Notes:

Gamepad is detected and all buttons function properly. Triggers can be set to acellerate/break either as digital buttons or as an Axis, but I didn't notice any difference between the two, so I recommend you don't even bother trying to set them to an Axis, just use them as digital buttons.

Yager (a.k.a. Aerial Strike: the Yager Missions)

Game Version: Only tested with demo (v5.20)

Notes:

Gamepad gets detected and all buttons work properly. I prefer to use my Keyboard and Mouse with this game, though.

Flatout

Game Version: Only tested with demo (US Demo v1.1)

Notes:

The game defaults to the keyboard, you'll have to go into the in-game control options and tell it to use the gamepad before it'll work. If you want to use your triggers as Accelerate/Brake then you can do it one of three ways, all of which have the same end result.

Or

Or

Once you've decided what Axis' to use it would probably be best if you disabled the other two just for the sake of being cautious. Now just go into the in-game controller config and set the right trigger to Accelerate and the left trigger to Brake.

GTR

Game Version: Only tested on demo (v2.0)

Notes:

If you want to use your triggers as Accelerate/Brake then you can do it one of three ways, all of which have the same end result.

Or

Or

Once you've decided what Axis' to use it would probably be best if you disabled the other two just for the sake of being cautious. Now just go into the in-game controller config and set the right trigger to Accelerate and the left trigger to Brake. This is better than using the keyboard, but I highly recommend using a real steering wheel with this game.

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within

Notes:

Game detects the controller and all buttons work properly. Camera Left/Right and Up/Down were set to the wrong Axis, easy to fix by going into the in-game options menu. The default control layout is crap, so you might want to customize everything.

MechWarrior 3

Game Version: Only tested with full version (v1.2)

Notes:

Controller is detected and all buttons work properly. Default generic config for the controller is a bit crappy, so you should really set things up the way you like it. I highly recommend a real Joystick and Throttle for this game though.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

Tested With: XBCD V1.07
Game Version: Only tested with full version

Notes:

The left analog stick and all of the buttons are detected and work, but the D-Pad doesn't seem to work (not sure if the game even makes use of the D-Pad). The right analog stick isn't detected with the default XBCD Axis setup (RY/RX), to fix this just set it like this:

Right stick Up = RZ+

Right Stick Down = RZ-

Right Stick left = Z-

Right Stick Right = Z+

It worked perfectly after I did that. The default generic control setup is crap, so you'll probably want to fiddle around with that also.

Omikron: The Nomad Soul

Notes:

Game detects the controller and all buttons work properly.

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

Gameversion: Only tested with full version

Notes:

The game detects the controller and all buttons work properly. This game doesn't come with a default generic profile, so you'll have to go into the in-game control options and set everything up yourself.

Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy

Game Version: Tested with full version only
Compatible: No

Notes:

The game doesn't detect the controller, but I doubt it's a driver issue. I'm pretty sure they just didn't program gamepad support into the game because there is only a Keyboard config menu in the game, and no mention of gamepads anywhere in the GameConfig.ini file.

I tried using ControlMK to emulate Keyboard/Mouse commands on the gamepad, but it didn't work too well. It would work for a few seconds, then stop working for few seconds, then work for few seconds, and repeat that pattern forever. Maybe an updated version of ControlMK could solve this problem, but at the moment is seems there is no way to use a Gamepad with this game.

Luckily, this game controlls pretty well with a Keyboard/Mouse combo, so no gamepad support isn't a big problem, just an inconvenience for people that would like to use one with this game.

Midnight Club 2

Notes:

Gamepad is detected and all buttons work properly. If you want to use the triggers as Accel/Brake you can do it one of the following ways:

Or

Or

Once you've decided what Axis' to use it would probably be best if you disabled the other two just for the sake of being cautious. Now just go into the in-game controller config and set the "Analog Gas/Brake" option to the Axis setup you used, it doesn't matter when trigger you press when you set the "Analog Gas/Brake" command because Midnight Club 2 combines the Acceleration and Brake command into one axis and only separates them by direction (Up/Down).

Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3

Notes:

Setup your controller in the little program that starts up before the game does, then once you're in-game go to the options menu, and then go to the controller options, and then set your primary controller to the Xbox Gamepad. Everything works perfectly.

Tony Hawks Pro Skater 4

Notes:

Gamepad is detected and almost everything works perfectly. The D-Pad and Right Analog Stick don't seem to work, but it's not a big problem as the game is perfectly playable without them.

Richard Burns Rally

Rumble: No (Driver problem, rumble is turned on in-game but it doesn't work)

Notes:

Gamepad is detected and all buttons work properly. If you want to use the triggers as Accel/Brake you can do it one of the following ways:

Or

Or

Once you've decided what Axis' to use it would probably be best if you disabled the other two just for the sake of being cautious. Now just go into the in-game controller config and set the "Accelerate and Brake" option to the Axis setup you used, it doesn't matter when trigger you press when you set the "Accelerate and Brake" command because Richard Burns Rally combines the Acceleration and Brake command into one axis and only separates them by direction (Up/Down).

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Game Version: Only tested with full version.

Notes:

The left analog stick and all of the buttons are detected and work. The right analog stick isn't detected with the default XBCD Axis setup (RY/RX), to fix this just set it like this:

Right stick Up = RZ+

Right Stick Down = RZ-

Right Stick left = Z-

Right Stick Right = Z+

It worked perfectly after I did that. The default generic control setup is crap, so you'll probably want to fiddle around with that also.

Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc

Notes:

Use the games config utility (found in the games start menu folder) to setup the camera Axis.

Quote    Reply   

#1 [url]

May 30 05 12:39 AM

EDIT:

What I meant to ask is if there are any games you've tried that you couldn't work around. For example, unrecognized buttons, etc.
I realize that the analog triggers must usually be treated as digital in PC games (makes sense). I assume the sensitivity for the triggers to be recognized as digital button presses can be modified?

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

May 30 05 12:44 AM

QUOTE (Ravager @ May 30 2005, 12:39 AM)
Do these games support gamepads naturally?

And the ones that do, do they have any problems recognizing all the buttons and functions (eg. Digital pads, analong button presses, triggers) on the official XBOX Controller S?

When I say "Comatible" I mean they detect the gampad and all buttons function normally (accept for analog triggers, which I explain in the "Important" section right before my guide).

If a game does not natively support gamepads I will make note of it and list possible solutions.

QUOTE (Ravager @ May 30 2005, 12:39 AM)

EDIT:

What I meant to ask is if there are any games you've tried that you couldn't work around. For example, unrecognized buttons, etc.
I realize that the analog triggers must usually be treated as digital in PC games (makes sense). I assume the sensitivity for the triggers to be recognized as digital button presses can be modified?

If I try a game that simply will not work I will still add it to the list, but obviously it will be listed as not compatible.

Not sure about sensitivity for the triggers as digital buttons, I haven't really looked into it. There are threshold settings for the triggers... haven't messed with them though.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jun 1 05 8:04 AM

Just to make it clear, I'll only be updating the first post, and not making a new post for each update. So even if the topic isn't on the top of the list, it may still have new info.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jun 6 05 2:53 PM

QUOTE (Legend-te- @ Jun 6 2005, 06:18 AM)
Thanks for that list man.  One game that benefits alot from the analogue triggers is richard burns rally.  I can add that you have to map the triggers to axis in windows to get them to perform that way in the game but all axis and buttons are detected by the game.  However I can say that rumble support still doesn't work for me with version 1.06

Full version or demo? I just tried it with the demo and added it to the list. I'll change the status to "Tested with Full version and Demo" if you have tested it with the full version (please also say what version number).

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help